[ Reuters | Slashdot | BBC News ]
[ Image Archive ]
BBC News - Home
Sixteen people are missing after the crowded vessel sinks on a reservoir near an Andean resort town.
- Ohio sites hacked with IS message
Governor John Kasich's site is one of those attacked, posting a threat to President Donald Trump.
- Dodging IS snipers on Mosul frontline
The BBC's Orla Guerin joins Iraqi fighters so close to IS militants they can "see their faces".
- China landslide: More than 90 missing as search continues
Thousands of rescuers are digging through rocks in Sichuan, with fading hope of finding survivors.
- Great Barrier Reef 'valued at $42bn'
The struggling icon is critical to supporting economic activity in Australia, a report finds.
- Ed Sheeran closes Glastonbury 2017
The pop star headlined Glastonbury just six years after performing to 500 people at the festival.
- Takata: Airbag-maker files for bankruptcy
Japanese firm faces billions of dollars of liabilities linked to the biggest ever automotive recall.
- Quick-thinking theme park rescuers save falling US teenager
Bystanders form a circle to catch the girl as she plummets to the earth from 25ft in the air.
- Police officers injured in London protest over man's death
Bricks are thrown and fires lit in the street after a protest over a man's death in east London.
- Narendra Modi: India PM talks tough on terror ahead of Trump meeting
India's PM says his country "proved its power" in its strikes on militant bases in Pakistan.
- How Syrian refugees battle against cancer
Ammash, 4, has leukaemia and the funds for his treatment are running out.
- Qatar demands difficult to meet, says US
The US secretary of state urges a "lowering of rhetoric" between Qatar and four other Arab states.
- Crown Resorts staff jailed for enticing Chinese gamblers
Three Australian Crown Resorts employees broke the law by enticing Chinese high-rollers to casinos.
- Italy forced to bail out two more banks for 5.2bn euros
Rome will spend at least 5.2bn euros to rescue Banca Popolare di Vicenza and Veneto Banca.
- Montreal festival float causes race row
Organisers insist the event was diverse but some attendees felt black people were marginalised.
- In pictures: Muslims celebrate Eid al-Fitr festival
The Islamic world has begun marking the holiday which ends the Ramadan fast.
- Trump gift leaves Australian PM Turnbull bemused
Malcolm Turnbull receives a cheeky church gift - a tie emblazoned with the words "Donald Trump".
- First Disneyland map sells for £555,000
The map was given to a production assistant and remained out of public view for more than 60 years.
- From child drug dealer to gang campaigner
"When we talk about gangs, let?s talk about rejection, let's talk about loneliness."
- China's lesbian mothers face legal hurdles
A growing number of gay Chinese couples are going abroad to have babies, but face legal hurdles back home.
- 'Real community spirit' in London's council estates
Photographer Joe Newman has explored some of the city's biggest council estates.
- 10 things we didn't know last week
Brian Cant sat in a cardboard box during his Play School audition - and other news nuggets.
- Two brothers, same murder, but one goes free. Why?
A decades-old murder and how a Supreme Court decision means freedom for one man, and life in prison for the other
- The great intellectual property trade-off
If rules are too strict, good ideas take too long to spread, but lax regulation risks no innovation.
- How Harry Potter enchanted the world
Can you believe it's 20 years since the publication of Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone?