[ Reuters | Slashdot | BBC News ]
[ Image Archive ]
BBC News - Home
The two countries blame each other as clashes involving heavy weapons kill at least 23 people.
- Switzerland referendum: Voters reject end to free movement with EU
With all votes counted, nearly 62% people have said they want to maintain the pact with the EU.
- Roe v Wade: Trump says Supreme Court ruling on abortion 'possible'
The president says his Supreme Court nominee could rule on a landmark decision to legalise abortion.
- Belarus: Mass arrests and tear gas on seventh weekend of protests
Protests are held for a seventh straight weekend, days after Alexander Lukashenko's secret inauguration.
- California wildfires: The inmates training to be firefighters
Brandon Smith is a former inmate firefighter and now helps former prisoners find jobs in the fire service.
- Joe Montana: American football legend saves grandchild from kidnapping attempt
The former quarterback and his wife stopped a home intruder from kidnapping their grandchild.
- Sri Lanka returns 'hazardous waste' to UK
Customs officials said hospital material and plastic was found in the shipment, in breach of rules.
- Japanese actress Yuko Takeuchi found dead at 40
The award-winning actress and mother of two is believed to have taken her own life at the age of 40.
- Islamist militants kill 18 in north-eastern Nigeria
The Islamic State group said it was behind the ambush on a convoy of government officials.
- Britons 'bubbling out of pubs' since curfew
Shadow justice secretary David Lammy says drinkers are likely to continue their night together at home.
- The woman farmer who beat debt and stigma
Women should live life on their own terms, says Jyoti Deshmukh, who overcame the odds to become a successful farmer.
- Brain-eating microbe: US city warned over water supply
People in Lake Jackson, Texas, are urged to take precautionary measures amid contamination concerns.
- Man arrested in UK fatal police shooting case
Louis De Zoysa remains critically ill in hospital after the fatal shooting of Sgt Matiu Ratana.
- Lewis Hamilton penalty hands Russian Grand Prix win to Valtteri Bottas
Lewis Hamilton's quest for the all-time record of Formula 1 wins was put on hold when he was hit with penalties at the Russian Grand Prix.
- Photography award winners show the fragility and beauty of mangrove forests
The Mangrove Photography Award winners show the beauty and fragility of the unique ecosystems.
- Belarus protests: Opposition icon Nina Bahinskaya, 73, bundled into van
Nina Bahinskaya was again among dozens of women detained at a rally against Belarus's president.
- Sir David Attenborough: Naturalist gives Prince George a fossil at royal screening
Sir David presented Prince George with a fossilised shark tooth at a screening of his new programme.
- Sparks fly during police chase in Los Angeles
Watch what happened when California Police tried to pull over a speeding pick-up truck.
- Mumbai collapse: The man who filmed his ordeal under rubble
Khalid Khan was trapped for 10 hours after a building collapsed in the Indian city of Mumbai.
- Courtroom escape sends police officer flying down stairs
A deputy went down the stairs head first trying to catch the defendant as he made a run for it.
- Coronavirus: Sea swims help with lockdown mental health
More than 100 people are taking part in weekly sea swims at dawn after seeing a social media post.
- Week in pictures: 19 - 25 September 2020
A selection of remarkable images taken around the world this week.
- The fight for women's prayer rights in Israel
How a group of Jewish feminists demanded the same prayer rights as Jewish men.
- Breonna Taylor: ?Painful to be a black woman right now' says Yandy Smith-Harris
Activist and businesswoman Yandy Smith-Harris shares her reaction to the Breonna Taylor case decision.
- 'Maskne': How to fight face mask breakouts
They're a part of everyday life, so how can you wear a face mask and have clear skin too?