[ Reuters | Slashdot | BBC News ]
[ Image Archive ]
BBC News - Home
Two British women are among the 31 people receiving treatment in hospital, says UK official.
- General election 2019: Boris Johnson criticised over reaction to sick boy image
The PM initially refused to look at the picture of the boy and took a reporter's phone away.
- 'No political bias' in FBI probe of Trump campaign
But the report also finds applications to spy on a Trump aide had "inaccuracies and omissions".
- Russia banned from global sports for four years
Russia is handed a four-year ban from all major sporting events - including the Tokyo 2020 Olympics and Paralympics - by the World Anti-Doping Agency.
- Ukraine conflict: Putin and Zelensky hold landmark talks in Paris
The Russian and Ukrainian leaders go into face-to-face talks to end the eastern Ukraine conflict.
- Pensacola attack gunman reported to have filed complaint
Mohammed Alshamrani alleged a naval instructor mocked his moustache in front of other students.
- Finnish minister Sanna Marin, 34, to become world's youngest PM
Social Democrat Sanna Marin will head a female-led governing coalition in the Nordic nation.
- British stars nominated for Golden Globe awards
Rocketman's Taron Egerton and Fleabag's Phoebe Waller-Bridge are among those up for prizes.
- British serial rapist given 33 life sentences
Mr Justice Edis said he had no doubt McCann was "a threat to children" and "a paedophile".
- José Filomeno dos Santos: Son of Angola's ex-leader in 'extraordinary' trial
Jose Filomeno dos Santos is alleged to have stolen $0.5bn from Angola's Sovereign Wealth Fund.
- Syrian president's uncle on trial in France for money laundering
Rifaat al-Assad denies embezzling Syrian state funds to buy homes and offices worth ?90m.
- 'Tonight a door was opened' says new Miss Universe
The 26-year-old from South Africa has been described as being "a proud advocate for natural beauty".
- China Uighurs: Detainees 'free' after 'graduating', official says
The unverified claims follow rising pressure over the internment of an estimated one million Muslims.
- US reporter vents anger at man who groped her on live TV
Alex Bozarjian was covering a run in the US state of Georgia when her backside was smacked.
- Climate change: 1.9 billion people rely on natural 'water towers'
A new study ranks the importance and vulnerability of high-mountain stores of water.
- Pakistan paramedic 'stole baby to give to childless aunt'
The little girl was one of a set of twins, the other of whom died just days after they were born.
- New Zealand volcano: White Island's eruption in pictures
One of New Zealand's most active volcanoes has erupted, claiming the lives of tourists.
- 'Perfect' Scotch whisky collection could be worth £8m
Nearly 4,000 bottles of rare whisky owned by a US businessman will go on sale in an online auction next year.
- Mythical creatures appear in Medellín
Hundreds of artists dressed as creatures from myth and legend parade through the Colombian city.
- Hong Kong protests: Six months of rage and desperation
Here are the most striking images from an unprecedented and historic few months in Hong Kong.
- Poland's model gingerbread village lights up for Christmas
More than 30 artists and bakers in Poland create model houses, castles, people and working trains.
- Artist eats $120,000 banana artwork
Performance artist David Datuna caused a stir at Art Basel in Miami after he ate the banana used in an art work by Maurizio Cattelan.
- Anthony Joshua regains world titles: Briton's victory over Ruiz in pictures
The best photos as Anthony Joshua reclaims his world titles with an accomplished performance in his rematch with Andy Ruiz Jr.
- Mike Horn and Boerge Ousland: North Pole explorers complete epic trek
The Norwegian-South African duo met up with a rescue team as they were dangerously low on food.
- Tetsu Nakamura: Japanese doctor killed in Afghanistan returns home
Gunmen shot Tetsu Nakamura, 73, while he was travelling in a car in Afghanistan this week.