[ Reuters | Slashdot | BBC News ]
[ Image Archive ]
BBC News - Home
The president has given Microsoft 45 days to reach a deal or he will ban the app in the US.
- What's going on with TikTok?
Microsoft confirmed it wants to acquire TikTok after President Trump threatened to ban the app.
- Hurricane Isaias makes landfall in North Carolina
Previously downgraded to a storm, Isaias was upgraded to a hurricane hours before making landfall.
- Spain's embattled ex-King Juan Carlos leaves country
His departure comes weeks after the former monarch was linked to a probe into alleged corruption.
- Beach SOS saves men stranded on tiny Micronesian island
The Micronesian men were spotted by Australian and US aircraft after being reported missing on Saturday.
- Coronavirus: Millions return to lockdown in Philippines
A strict curb on movements has been re-imposed in the capital Manila after a surge in Covid infections.
- NY attorney expands inquiry into Trump 'criminal conduct'
In a court filing, lawyers said the investigation spans over a decade of possible criminal activity.
- Boeing's 737 Max moves closer to flying again
US regulators have put forward a list of changes needed before the ill-fated planes can restart flights.
- Article 370: Curfew in Kashmir as protesters plan 'black day'
Officials anticipate violence on the first anniversary of the revocation of the state's autonomy.
- Israel strikes Syrian army bases after Golan Heights attack
The IDF confirmed the strikes were in retaliation against an attempted bombing in Golan Heights.
- Melbourne police see violent lockdown resistance
A policewoman's head was repeatedly "smashed" in one incident in shopping centre, authorities say.
- Tanzanite: Tanzanian miner earns millions after second rare find
Saniniu Laizer sells a Tanzanite stone for $2 million (£1.5m), months after a similar find.
- Sweden: Death of girl, 12, ignites debate over gang violence
The girl was killed by a stray bullet in a drive-by shooting that went wrong, media reports say.
- James Lovelock: Gaia theory creator on coronavirus and turning 101
British scientist James Lovelock says population growth means something like the virus is "almost inevitable".
- TikTok: What TikTokers make of Trump's ban threat
The confusion around the video app's future has left creators at a loose end - or issuing goodbyes.
- The trees that survived the bombing of Hiroshima
How a message of hope and peace is being spread by trees still growing 75 years later.
- Here are just some of the records Taylor Swift's Folklore has broken
The star's surprise eighth album sets a whole raft of new chart records in its first week on sale.
- First SpaceX crewed mission lands safely
The moment the first crewed SpaceX mission splashes down safely in the Gulf of Mexico.
- Coronavirus pandemic: Tracking the global outbreak
Key maps and charts explaining how the respiratory virus has spread around the world and how it is being dealt with.
- Hiroshima and Nagasaki: Women survivors of the atomic bombs
August marks the 75th anniversary of the atomic bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki in 1945.
- Americans in Africa: Why we left America to live in Africa
Three African Americans have been explaining why they left the US to find a better life in Africa.
- TikTok: How would the US go about banning the Chinese app?
Several options exist, from preventing Google and Apple offering the app, to blocking its servers.
- An underwater webcam in the port of Miami has become a lockdown sensation.
An underwater webcam in the port of Miami has become a lockdown sensation thanks to its tailless star 'Oval'.
- Coronavirus: How pandemic pods and zutors are changing home-schooling
US parents are resorting to "pandemic pods" and garden classrooms - but will it deepen inequalities?
- ?I feel guilty for surviving?: The deadly hunt for jade in Myanmar
Nearly 200 people died last month in a jade mine landslide. Now the survivors are going back to work.